10X Content - What Is It and Why You Should be Practicing It
by Jenny Foster | Updated Nov 9, 2021
Have you been researching a topic on Google and eventually found a resource that addressed everything you were looking for and more? In essence, that is 10X content.
Originally coined by Rand Fishkin, Wizard of Moz, 10X content is 10 times better than the other resources available on the same topic.
As one might expect, creating content that’s 10 times better than anything you’ve done in the past can seem like quite the daunting task. Everyone has to start somewhere, keep these 5 tips in mind and you’ll be on the path to content marketing greatness.
Tip 1 Great Content Takes Time - Days or Weeks
- Don’t expect or publicize daily posts that align with 10x content. Think back to a foundational pillar of marketing:
the Fast, Good, Cheap triangle.
- The content you produce must also be unique, with a unique approach tailored to your specific business goals.
- A great way to approach 10 x content is by trying to solve a common pain point for your customers/clients.
Tip 2 - Great Content Shouldn't be Outsourced
- Fiverr and other low quality outsource options should not be an option. The best person for the 10x content job is a person who has a thorough and thoughtful understanding of the business. Ideally it’s an in-house/full time employee.
Tip 3 - Create Content With the Purpose of Evoking Emotion
- People will be far more likely to remember the piece and engage/comment on it if you evoke an emotional response.
- When creating content, a great tip to keep in mind is to speak in definitives, leave out the fluff and anything that may seem wishy washy.
- This will also aid in providing context to your content.
Tip 4 - Make Sure it’s Mobile Friendly
- It’s becoming increasingly important to keep things like image size and file types in mind when creating content. You don’t want to alienate anyone audience or make it tougher. Every second counts when it comes to online content.
- It’s best to create content that can transcend devices & platforms. This will also give you many avenues to repurpose the content you spent so much time crafting.
Tip 5 - Follow the Guidelines - 10x Content Will Give You a Chance at Ranking on the 1st Page
- This is super powerful for small to medium-sized business (SMB’s) who may not otherwise have it in the budget to earn a first-page ranking.
What it boils down to is that we are on the ultimate quest for content consumption, 24/7. Platforms like YouTube, Snapchat, Buzzfeed, Reddit were all created for mass consumption of content. It makes sense that Google is starting to reward those with relevant/valuable content, it’s their perception of what the user wants.